Heath Old Boys Association


History


The seal

Though a charter was granted by Queen Elizabeth in 1585, it was only in 1597 when the Farrars of Midgley gave the Trustees two acres of land that they needed a common seal. This one was attached to a document of 1634.

The inscription reads:

SIGIL[UM] · LIBE[RAE] · GRAM[MATICALIS] · SCHOL[AE] · R[EGINA] · ELIZ[ABETHAE] · VICARIAT[US] · HALIFAX[ENSIS]

The words on the open book are understood to be:

Qui mihi discipulus, Puer, es, cupis et [doceri]

the first line of an exhortation to young people in William Lily’s Latin Grammar (published in the early 1500s).

Oval seal with the first text above round the rim and, from top to bottom, a rose, an open book and a portcullis
Seal

With thanks to Jim Farrell [Heath 1977–1982].