Louis Kenneth Caygill 1913– [Heath ?–1932]

Ken Caygill was born in Halifax and attended Heath Grammar School. He was very proud of his schooling there. He was brought up at the family home in Shay Lane in Ovenden and he continued to live at home while he attended Leeds University. He qualified in 1936 at Leeds Dental School and took a Short Service Commission in the army, serving in the Royal Army Dental Corps. His keen interest in playing rugby, which he had developed at school and at university, was continued in his army career.

During the Second World War, he served in France and Belgium, assisting with the establishment of dressing stations during the Dunkirk withdrawal in 1940. He also served with success in North Africa and Italy. He completed his distinguished tour of duty in Italy as Head of Dental Service, Central Mediterranean Force, being part of the Allied support of the Unified Government of Italy.

Upon returning to the UK in 1947, Ken was in charge of the Army Dental Centre at Carlisle until he retired from the service in November 1949. Major Caygill was well respected during his army career for his extensive and versatile knowledge of his profession which was skillfully and meticulously applied.

Ken, a strong family man, set up his own practice in Croydon and, with the support of his wife, Emmie, raised their three sons. Running a busy practice, single-handed, Ken produced fine work and a speedy service to his patients by employing an in-house dental mechanic for many years. He continued in general practice for 24 years and — a tribute to his team leadership skills — he kept the same receptionist for the whole of this time. He supported the Southern Counties Branch of the British Dental Association as Meetings Secretary, and in other roles, and was President of the Branch in 1975.

Ken eased himself into retirement by serving in the Community Dental Service in Shirley, Surrey, for a short while but full retirement gave him the opportunity to enjoy his passion for outdoor pursuits, caravanning and walking with Emmie.

Ken died peacefully after a short illness at Caterham on , surviving his beloved wife by only eight months. He leaves three sons, Michael, Peter and David, and seven grandchildren.

Peter Caygill

Heath Old Boys Association extends its deepest sympathy to the family.

First appeared in the Newsletter dated

Note: Peter Caygill provided a photograph of the 1930/31 Rugby Team with this obituary showing his father but there is a better image of his father in the 1931/32 Rugby Team photograph which Peter also provided; his absence from the next season’s team suggests that he left Heath in 1932.