John Philip Horrocks-Taylor: [Heath 1945–1953]

The death of Phil Horrocks-Taylor on has been announced. He was born on , the youngest of three children, Pamela, David and himself. He attended Parkinson Lane Junior School from where he graduated to Heath Grammar School in 1945, joining brother David there. He soon demonstrated his sporting abilities — and was no mean scholar.

He played cricket for the School and gained his school colours in 1951 but he excelled throughout at rugby, gaining his Colts colours in 1948, his school colours in 1951 when he played in the winning team at the Ilkley Sevens, playing in the 1952 winning team, captaining the winning Ilkley Sevens team and the First XV in 1953 and playing for the Yorkshire Schools XV in his last two years.

A State Scholarship in Physics and Chemistry took him to Cambridge University but he chose to take up first his National Service obligation at Catterick with the Royal Corps of Signals. Bearing in mind the then reputation of the RCS, it was no coincidence that he was recruited to their ranks — in his words as ‘an opportunity to play rugby and nothing else.’ With such rugby league icons as Billy Boston, Phil Jackson and Brian Gabbitas in the team, no wonder they won the Yorkshire Cup and the Army Cup.

Thence to Cambridge where he, in 1956, his second year, was awarded his ‘Blue’ and, according to him, played some of his best rugby ever, being capped twice by England before his arrival at Leicester Tigers.

In the ensuing years until 1958, he played for Halifax RUFC on 43 occasions scoring 14 tries, 13 penalty goals, 5 drop goals and three conversions. Otherwise he flourished as he played for Wasps, 92 times for Leicester Tigers between 1958 and 1963 as fly half, representing England nine times between 1958 and 1962 and being selected for the 1959 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia and New Zealand where he played in the third test. He also made 61 appearances for Yorkshire RFU.

After a period of employment in the Midlands, he moved to Middlesborough where he was soon back in the game as he played, captained the Club and served as Chairman, Chairman of Selectors and Vice President over the years.

Sadly he died on , aged 86, leaving his wife Julia, his two married daughters and their families.

He will be greatly missed.

Grayham P Smith [Heath 1952–1959]