Douglas Jackson: [Heath 1939–1947]

Ken Binks has written to say that he has heard from Andrew Jackson that his father, Douglas Jackson, died on .

He was at Heath from 1939 to 1947, and following Cambridge University he taught Latin and RE at schools in the west of England.

The funeral was held at South Street Baptist Church, Exeter, where he was a member. He is survived by his wife and family, to whom we extend our condolences.

Ken Binks had kept in touch with Andrew through the Friends Reunited website.

Douglas Jackson became a pupil at Heath Grammar School in September 1939 at the beginning of World War Two. He quickly showed his versatility in both academic study and games, eventually gaining a regular place in both the Rugby First XV and in the Cricket first eleven. His academic studies were on the classical side and he had the good fortune to be taught and encouraged by the Headmaster, D.J.D. Smith. He it was who tutored Douglas in Latin and Greek and thereby created a path for Douglas to gain a place at Pembroke College, Cambridge to study for a Classical Degree. This led Douglas into a career in teaching, and his first appointment was to Glossop Grammar School. However, lung problems caused him to seek relief and he moved to a milder climate in Devon where he remained for the rest of his life, first teaching Classics at Bideford Grammar School. It was at this time that he began to fear for the gradual demise of Classics in the Grammar School curriculum, and decided to undertake a further degree course, an exceedingly difficult achievement before the advent of the Open University. It meant several years of study in his own time to achieve a BD from London University, whilst continuing to run the Classics Department at Bideford. He was again successful in this arduous task and it led to his eventual appointment as Head of Religious Studies at Queen Elizabeth School, Crediton, where he remained until illness forced him to take an early retirement.

He was a man of exceptional determination who had to come to terms with partial paralysis, a burden which he bore with fortitude and without bitterness for 34 years. After his forced retirement, he continued to devote himself to the work of the Baptist Church in Exeter, providing pastoral care and theological support to the wider community.

He leaves a wife, son and daughter and four grandchildren.

G H Boocock